This is the beginning of a series of classic/typical makeup looks from the 2os to the 70s, and maaaybe be the 80s, not sure yet. The 1920s and 30s are my favourite eras. I remember my mum being quite obsessed with Art Deco interiors when I was little and I guess it’s rubbed off on me! If I had endless amounts of money I would own solely 1920s and 30s dresses and loungewear (and Edwardian cotton and lace, hah!). I just want to say, I am in no way a makeup artist, or a historian. This is just something that I’m really interested in.
I concealed my eyebrows so I could make them thinner and elongated them towards middle of my ear which was classic for the 20s. Plucking became popular in the 20s and eyebrows got much thinner, but not as thin as the 30s! I made my eyes dark using a dark brown and a black eyeshadow and black pencil liner, this is another typical look of this era. It was now acceptable for women to wear makeup in public, and some of the more adventurous would have their eyes very dark (I like to think I would have been one of them). I then used my beloved Besame lipstick to recreate Clara bow’s iconic cupids bow lip. This under drawn but very shaped lip was popularised by actresses, filtered down to the public and soon enough, everyone was doing it! Cake mascara was also hugley popular, but I’ve just used my normal mascara here. And finally, blush. Blush was generally applied in a circle, just on the apples of the cheeks, as a rounded face was the most sought after face shape at the time. I would have fit right in!
- NYX matte but not flat foundation – I am not getting on with this! Need to find a cruelty free CC cream. My favourite was bourjois 123 perfect cc cream, but alas, they aren’t cruelty free.
- NYX HD Concealer – I’m not actually finding this too bad, it doesn’t crease under my eyes as easily as some other concealers and lasts a long time. I’ll probably re-purchase this once I run out. I don’t think anything will help my dark circles but some proper sleep at the moment though.
- Makeup Revolution Iconic3 palette, second from last dark brown/grey colour (they don’t have names…)
- Kiko Milano single eyeshadow in 178 (black with silver glitter)
- Revlon length+volume mascara. Again, this came in a beauty box I used to be subscribed to. Need to find a good cruelty free alternative.
- Sleek blush in Flushed
- Besame brightening violet powder
- Besame lipstick in Cherry Red